Polar Explorer: Sea Level is a mobile application for the iPad and iPhone. Polar Explorer: Sea Level can be downloaded from the Education Category of the App StoreSM for free.
With Polar Explorer: Sea Level we invite you to learn about sea level and the various processes that control the location of the shoreline.
- Global multi-resolution digital elevation model for land and ocean
- Scrollable and cascading list of available topics
- A choice of either text and audio to introduce each topic
- Overlay of selected thematic content with adjustable opacity
- Info button for each subject that opens a browser window with further content description, animations, data sources, credits and citations along with external links
- Legends and also their numerical values revealed at locations tapped by your finger
- Capture of current map to photo library for email to others
- Automatic saving of last region viewed prior to exit from the app
- Names of continents, oceans, seas, mountains, lakes, rivers, cities and seabed features automatically displayed according to zoom level
- Instructions available upon startup
Wi-Fi or 3G network connection required with iOS 6.0 or more recent operating system. Recently retrieved tiles are cached to allow limited review of previously explored regions without a live connection.
Overview of Content
Polar Explorer: SeaLevel provides maps, charts, text and audio to enable the user to address these questions:
- What is sea level?
- Why does sea level change?
- What is the role of the ocean?
- What is the role of the atmosphere?
- What about contributions from glaciers?
- What about contributions from ice sheets?
- What about post-glacial rebound?
- Where is sea level changing now?
- What about polar regions?
- What about climate in the past?
- What about warm periods?
- What about cold periods?
- What about deglaciation 20,000 to 5,000 years ago?
- What are future predictions along the US coast?
- Who is vulnerable?
Companion Web Page
Polar Explorer for your browser.
- Polar Explorer Online: A browser version of the Polar Explorer App for use in class rooms and seminars:
A companion iPad and iPhone app by Columbia University and available from the Apple App Store for $0.99.
- Earth Observer App: an earth science exploration and visualization mobile app that provides access to a vast array of earth, ocean, atmosphere, environmental and population data sets:
Free companion applications from Columbia University that run on Windows, Unix/Linux and Mac OS X and provide additional content and tools for interactive analysis and graphing:
- GeoMapApp: an earth science exploration and visualization application that provides access to thousands of data sets, options for importing your own data, and analytical capabilities.
- Virtual Ocean: integrates the GeoMapApp tool suite with 3-D earth browser technology to create a powerful new platform for interdisciplinary research and education.
The development of the Polar Explorer: Sea Level App has been funded by the the National Science Foundation under Cooperative Agreement No. DUE-1239783.
Apple, the Apple logo and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPad is a trademark of Apple Inc. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.